Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Revisiting The Clare at Water Tower

I attended another session about my future residence yesterday. This one was finally geared especially to my interests: IT and communications and computers and the coming building web site. As I've admitted before, most of the traditional activities of elders (golf, shuffleboard, bridge, dancing, knitting, etc.) don't interest me. It's not that's there's anything wrong with any of those things, but that I'm an individualist who may take pride in not conforming to any senior stereotypes.

I was happy to learn about the coming new web site, Clarity, and I eagerly await its completion. Of course I volunteered to help out in any way I can, and I hope to be able to teach a few Internet basics to residents less computer-savvy than I. Of course I'm not the only computer-literate future resident. There are quite a few of us, I think, although so far, I've had no good way of reaching the others. Clarity should help solve that problem.

Making the big decision to move into a lifetime care community (beginning with independent living) is difficult, but I made mine long ago. My emotions have alternated among joy, fear, and dismay about the prospect of moving in later this year, but yesterday's meeting cheered me up. Apparently today's senior communities actually listen to their residents and don't depend on the old stereotypes of what seniors do, or should, want or need. Moving will be hard, but I look forward to continuing and sharing my writing activities there. I've been alone too long.

You can be sure that I'll be blogging my way through the entire moving process. Stay tuned.

Copyright 2008 by Marlys Marshall Styne

No comments: