Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's a Beautiful Day in Chicago!

What a wonderful day for a walk! Here is a lakefront view I photographed about seven blocks east of my home today. The weather couldn't be better: low humidity, temperatures in the upper seventies, bright sunshine. Only a tiny sliver of Lake Michigan is visible here, but I assure you it is there on the left. This view looks south toward Oak Street Beach and the Loop. Busy Lake Shore Drive is out of view on the right.

I wish I could say that I was one of the cyclists, joggers, or runners on the lakefront path, but in reality, I just walked my usual stiff-kneed, arthritic old lady's walk and kept to the right, always alert for speeding bikers or runners. I walked much further than usual today, however. I crossed under the Outer Drive at the North Avenue underpass to enter, and I left the path through the Oak Stree underpass, then walked south on the "Magnificent Mile" of North MIchigan Avenue and turned right one block on Pearson to look at The Clare building site, inspiring as usual.

Following my usual routine, I had my "senior coffee" at MacDonald's at Chicago Avenue and State Street and enjoyed the passing scene. I expected to take a bus part-way home, but I was so inspired by the weather that I walked all the way! I must have walked at least four or five miles today; that was nothing when I was younger, but quite unusual today. Maybe my traveling days aren't really over yet!

It's wonderful how inspiring good weather can be, especially after all the rain and wind of the last few days. And I assure you that Chicago is, indeed, a beautiful city.

Copyright 2007 by Marlys Marshall Styne
Photo by the author, 8/26/07

No comments: