Sunday, May 18, 2008

Awards and Senior Passions

If you've visited this blog before, you probably know that I am a great believer in the idea that seniors should follow their interests and passions. You also know that my personal passion is writing. I never expected to become a famous, best-selling author, and I have not. But each year, the Illinois Woman's Press Association's annual awards luncheon provides a boost to my morale and my ego.

Yesterday, the awards for 2007 writing were presented at a fabulous luncheon at Chicago's Union League Club. The club's main dining room, with its old-fashioned, traditionally rich decor and its portraits, including one of Abraham Lincoln, is enough to elevate anyone's mood. This year I again received two first-place awards, as well as one second and one honorable mention. I was elated.

My first-place awards were for my second book, Seniorwriting: A Guide for Seniors Who Want to Write (Infinity, 2007) and for one of my eGenerations writing columns, "Sharing Your Experiences, Memories, and Stories." My second place and honorable mention awards were both for earlier posts on this blog: my book review, "Retirement Planning: Looking Beyond the Money," and my post, "On Laundry and 'Going Green." The judges had encouraging things to say about all my entries.

For more about these awards and comments and for links to my writing, go to my writing blog, "Write Your Life!" at http://www.seniormemoirs.blogspot.com/ (or follow the link at the right).

Copyright 2008 by Marlys Marshall Styne

No comments: