Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Beauty of Snow



As snow buries Chicago, I'm glad to have a warm, comfortable, computer-equipped place of refuge. Here is a poem I posted some time ago on my other blog, "Write Your Life!" It seems especially appropriate right now. It's amazing how much one can say in just nine lines.




Northern Winter

Snowfall:
White, beautiful,
Silent, soft, inviting
Snow angels, snowmen, sleds and skis.
Time for warm mittens, scarves, parkas, tall boots.
Drivers' challenge: shovel, plow, clear.
Parents' work, children's joy,
Winter's wonder:
Snowfall.


[The Rictameter is a nine-line verse form with identical first and last lines and syllable counts of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2.]


Copyright 2008 by Marlys Marshall Styne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem and an inspiration to have the pattern down. I love the stamps as an accompaniment, too.

seniorwriter said...

Thanks, Motherpie. I love to play with odd poetic forms like that; there are a few other examples on my other blog, "Write your Life!"