Sunday, October 21, 2007
Support Little-Known Authors!
Do you restrict your reading to best-sellers, old classics, and books by authors who specialize in expensive publicity campaigns? Do you depend exclusively on books from your local library? Why not expand your tastes to a few books you've never heard of? Two good ways of doing this are by searching Amazon.com by author, title, or genre and by attending your local book fairs.
I was one of thirty authors appearing yesterday at the Illinois Woman's Press Association Fall Book Fair (see program front and back covers above), and I was favorably impressed by my fellow authors: their diversity, their variety of topics and genres, and most of all, their enthusiasm. Of course I have not read all the books on display there, but those I have read were well worth reading. They all tell fascinating stories. There are books here for all ages.
Here is a list of the participating authors and their titles. If these books sound interesting, look them up on line. Find out what the small press and self-publishing world is up to. You may be surprised and pleased.
* Indicates IWPA members.
Kathy Catrambone and Ellen Shubart: Taylor Street: Chicago's Little Italy
Larry W. Green: Water Tanks of Chicago: A Vanishing Urban Legacy
Lenore and John Weiss: Traveling the Historic Three; As the Story Goes; Traveling the New, Historic Route 66 of Illinois.
Jerry Crimmins: Fort Dearborn
* David G. Clark: Exploring Route 66 in Chicagoland; Route 66 in Chicago
* Marianne Wolf: Joliet, Images of America
Renee Rosen: Every Crooked Pot
Naedi Okorafor-Mibachu: Zahrah the Windseeker; The Shadow Speaker
Lynn Voedisch: Excited Light
Carol June Stover: Current River Redemption
Michael Cain: The Tangled Web: The Life and Death of Richard Cain--Chicago Cop and Mafia Hitman
Judy Douglas Knauer: Bad Catholics, a Novel of Dark Suspense; Ecstasy Reclaimed
Tina L. Jens: The Blues Ain't Nothin: Tales of the Lonesome Blues Pub
John Weagly: The Undertow of Small Town Dreams
Tina L. Jens and John Weagly: Book of Dead Things; Tales From the Red Lion; Spooks!
* George Scheber: Earl the Squirrel Series: Peanut Butter Apple Pie; Hollywood; Chicken Big
Linda Hoffman Kimball: Come with Me on Halloween
Cindi Dammann: Tailgating Tales: Diary of a Female Football Fan
* Helena Lehman: Pillar of Enoch Ministry Books: The Language of God in the Universe; The Language of God in Humanity; The Language of God in History; The Language of God in Prophecy
*Marlys Marshall Styne: Reinventing Myself: Memoirs of a Retired Professor; Seniorwriting: A Guide for Seniors Who Want to Write
* Jane Ranshaw: 101 Tips For Marketing Your Services; Quick Guide to Grammar and Style
Thomas R. Jones, Sr.: Lost Survivor
Jennie Spallone: Deadly Choices
* Rachel Madorsky: Create Your Own Destiny! Spiritual Path to Success
Stephanie E. Wilson-Coleman: Embracing Life Lessons; Is Anybody Listening?
Yvonne F. Brown: Self Creation: 10 Powerful Principles for Changing Your Life
* Susan Brauer: Just Keep Dancing
* Francine Pappadis Friedman: MatchDotBomb: A Midlife Journey Through Internet Dating
Rami Yelda: A Persian Odyssey
* Dr. Elena Ashley: Splunkunio Splunkey Detective and Peacemaker Case One: The Missing Friendship Bracelet (bilingual, English-Spanish)
Copyright 2007 by Marlys Marshall Styne