Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Picture of the Year: Senior Toys


This is the cover photo from my brother's 2007 calendar. Here is what he has to say about it:

"This year's cover declares that 'retirement is all about toys.' While that may be a bit of an overstatement, there is a very substantial part of that statement that is true.

"My three favorite toys, pictured from left to right are: (1) 2001 BMW Z3.0i, next to the last year of the 'classic' Z3's. The Z3 was introduced to the world as James Bond's ride in the movie Goldeneye; (2) 2001 Honda GL-1800 (Goldwing), which is probably my favorite toy. It now has 128,000 miles on it and it is still going strong; (3) 2005 Honda VTX-1800, a V-twin with awesome torque that is a blast to ride. This is not a long-distance ride, but a 'bar hopper,' if one is interested in that sort of thing."

My brother is John Marshall, of Hurricane, Utah; he will be seventy-two in January, and he retired from a long career as a chemistry professor in the 1990's. I admire him for "doing his thing" and living where he wants to live, just as I do. Perhaps it runs in the family!

Copyright 2006 by Marlys Marshall Styne
Photo by John C. Marshall

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello and Happy Christmas, Marlys. I tried leaving you a comment a couple of weeks ago, when I first found this site (through your review of Frank McCourt's Teacher Man (great book and great review, by the way). I'm a freshman in college in Massachusetts who enjoys writing, particularly journaling. I have a private Livejournal account. I've been keeping up with your blog since I came upon it. I love being privy to some of your experiences and insights. Congratulations on the job you did writing and publishing your book, and all of the activities you keep up with in your life today. You're an inspiration for me and others in my generation.

Have a wonderful holiday,

JB

seniorwriter said...

JB:

Thanks for your comment! I'm happy to learn that someone from a younger generation reads my blog. I'm afraid that many younger people seem to think that people in my age group are too far "over the hill" to make any difference.

I'm enjoying the Christmas holiday in Houston, Texas, but I'll be back in Chicago tomorrow. My niece and her family have treated my brother and me royally here, and I'll probably be writing more for my blog during the next week.

Again, thanks for noticing.

Marlys